Nepali citizens and those traveling to the country can make use of a stable Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN keeps all your internet activity private and spoofs your location to make it appear you’re somewhere else. This is useful if you want to keep watching your favorite streaming services while in Nepal. In this article, we’ll explain how to use a VPN as well as the best VPNs for Nepal.
We’ll discuss these in detail below, but if you want to dive straight into our recommendations of the best VPNs for Nepal, then look no further:
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice for Nepal. Phenomenal speeds and military-grade encryption protocols make for a VPN experience that’s simply unrivaled. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it a risk-free option.
- NordVPN: Best budget option for Nepal. Vast server network that enables you to get an IP address from a ton of locations. Friendly customer support and consistent speeds.
- CyberGhost: Privacy-focused service that appeals to beginner users. Sleek apps, fast speeds, and good unblocking capability.
- IPVanish: All-round solid VPN that delivers on privacy, speed, and encryption protocols. Consistent performer with robust security.
- Surfshark: Up-and-coming provider that brings a lot to the table in all facets of the VPN experience.
- PrivateVPN: Great at securing your internet connection. Keeps snoopers and hackers at bay, and is adept at unblocking several geo-restricted sites.
VPNs establish an encrypted tunnel that redirects all internet traffic to and from your device via an intermediary server that you choose. If you pick a server outside Nepal, then your existing Nepalese IP address will be flipped with the country that you’ve selected. As a result, all the websites and apps you connect to will operate under the assumption that you’re located there, opening up geo-restricted content and streaming platforms. What’s more, the encrypted tunnel makes it almost impossible for hackers or snoopers to monitor your online behavior.
VPNs are a dime a dozen but our picks for Nepal are based on exacting standards. As such, the recommendations hinge on the following parameters:
- Operates a wide network of servers around the world
- Is known for fast speeds and robust encryption
- Easily unblocks geo-restricted streaming media
- Has provision for simultaneous connections
- Offers friendly and quick customer support
Best VPNs for Nepal
Based on the criteria discussed above we’ve put together our list of the best VPN’s you can use while in Nepal:
ExpressVPN is our top pick for Nepal. It’s a superior service that offers extremely fast speeds, around-the-clock customer support, and military-grade encryption protocols. With over 3,000 servers to choose from in 94 countries, including options in Nepal, you’re covered to get an IP address from anywhere in the world.
ExpressVPN’s apps are designed for beginners to the VPN world and will forge an encrypted connection within a few minutes. If you’re unsure of which server to pick, then a ‘smart location’ setting can make the decision for you. ExpressVPN is proven to unblock plenty of media streaming platforms including US Netflix, HBO, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, so you can stay in touch with your favorite programming.
The security features on offer include 256-bit AES encryption, an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy. To ease your concerns, ExpressVPN does not record any IP addresses or other data that could potentially identify users.
Apps for Android and iOS are available, along with desktop versions for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. A single account allows for up to five simultaneous connections.
- Fantastic speeds for downloading and streaming
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Has servers in Nepal
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Slightly more pricey than other services
TOP VPN FOR NEPAL:ExpressVPN is our top pick for Nepal. Superior encryption, blazing-fast speeds, and resolute customer support ensure a fantastic experience. All plans ship with a 30-day no-quibbles money-back guarantee, so it’s a risk-free option.
NordVPN is the best alternative for users on a budget. With over 5,500 servers to choose from, it has one of the most expansive networks in the world. NordVPN’s customizability is a particularly strong facet of the product suite. Things like streaming, double VPN, and Tor over VPN can be selected within the app.
Look no further if you want to access geo-restricted media. NordVPN can unblock US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, and more. There are detailed guides on the provider’s website explaining how to access many of these services.
256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol is enabled by default. Additional security measures include an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection, ensuring you browse with a leak-proof connection. NordVPN doesn’t keep any logs.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. All plans allow for up to six devices to connect at the same time and customer support is available 24/7.
- Best budget VPN for torrenting and streaming
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Some servers take longer to connect to
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR NEPAL:NordVPN delivers a robust product at a price that’s hard to beat. It can unblock Netflix and other streaming providers. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost has thousands of secure, high-speed servers to choose from. With apps designed for novice users, this provider makes it very simple to get online and start browsing. Plus, it incorporates some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested, so geo-restricted services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer are within reach.
The company guards user traffic with 256-bit encryption in conjunction with 2,048-bit DHE-RSA keys. Included in the security offering is perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, an ad blocker, and anti-malware defense.
CyberGhost doesn’t store any user data, including IP addresses, so you don’t have to worry about intrusive entities gaining access to your information. It’s available on Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. One account allows for seven devices to connect concurrently.
- Operates a network of more than 3,787 servers in 60 countries
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
PRIVACY, SECURITY, AND SPEED:CyberGhost has the whole package, including fast speeds and strong security features. Intuitive apps and helpful customer support make setup easy. Plus, a 45-day money-back guarantee means you have plenty of time to test it out.
IPVanish is one of the most privacy-conscious VPNs available. It goes the extra mile to secure your connection and keep your browsing history private. Its server network is decent, clocking in at about 1,300 across 60 countries, and doesn’t compromise on speed. Streaming geo-restricted media is an option, with IPVanish enabling access to Netflix and other platforms.
IPVanish personally owns and operates its entire network of servers, resulting in much more control over the traffic flowing through its network. This approach is very different from that of most players in the industry; the norm is to rent space in server farms or outsource operations to a third-party operator.
This provider’s security and privacy features are top of the line. All connections come equipped with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch. No logs are maintained.
One plan allows for 10 devices to connect at a time. Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, and there’s 24/7 live chat for customer support.
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- Customer support is a little slow
ALL-ROUNDER:IPVanish will keep you secure on the internet and help you as you go about your online activities. All plans include a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark hosts over 800 servers in 50 countries. While it’s still relatively new to the industry, it has rapidly carved out a niche for itself. Plus, you can take advantage of special, early-bird offers that might not be available later.
For example, Surfshark currently allows all users to connect an unlimited number of devices. This makes it ideal if you have a large family and several devices in use. Speeds are very fast which means accessing sites such as Netflix is a walk in the park.
Surfshark doesn’t store any data or keep user information on file. All traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch. There are apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Live support is available as and when you need it.
- Kill switch on all platforms
- Unlimited devices
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Relatively small server network
LEAK-PROOF CONNECTION:Surfshark is quick, nimble, and easy to use. The flexibility to connect to as many devices as you want is a significant selling point. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN rounds up our list of the best VPNs for Nepal, but its position at sixth place shouldn’t discourage you from opting for the service. It doesn’t log any data, offers extremely fast speeds, and is well-regarded for its ability to unblock geo-restricted sites.
PrivateVPN’s server network is small compared to the other providers on this list. Nonetheless, with about 150 servers in 60 locations, it’s still good enough to get the job done. PrivateVPN focuses on quality rather than quantity and can help in accessing Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
256-bit encryption is used to secure web traffic. Additional measures include perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A paid account allows for up to six devices to connect simultaneously.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Very fast speeds
- Live chat is not around the clock
SUPERIOR UNBLOCKING CAPABILITIES:PrivateVPN goes above and beyond when it comes to accessing geo-restricted content. Fast speeds and solid encryption are part of the package. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Should I use a free VPN for Nepal?
Free VPNs are a poor fit if you’re looking for a seamless online experience. We understand the temptation to opt for one: after all, there’s no upfront payment via credit card needed and it’s more or less just a plug-and-play option. However, the poor-quality service that such providers offer will end up impacting your peace of mind and may actually entail a higher cost than if you had opted for a paid VPN.
First up, it’s important to keep in mind that free VPNs aren’t free in the regular sense of the term. They’re looking to monetize their user base somehow, which means you’ll be subjected to intrusive advertisements or frequent interruptions to upgrade to a paid plan. Some might take it a step further and inject tracking cookies into your browser to pilfer, mine, and sell your personal data to advertisers. When you opt for a free VPN, you’re putting things like user privacy and speed on the backseat. Features like access to streaming platforms and prompt customer support are also missing from these services.
What’s more, free VPNs ship with bandwidth restrictions, data caps, and a poor choice of servers. You’ll be extremely hard-pressed to find an option for Nepal or anywhere close by. At the end of the day, to securely stream your favorite content, safely access public wifi, or stay hidden online, you’re better served with a paid VPN service.
Tips for using a VPN in Nepal
VPNs are an excellent idea regardless of your status in Nepal. They’ll greatly enhance your internet experience and give you peace of mind on the web. Here’s how to set them up:
Here’s how to use a VPN in Nepal:
- Settle on a provider that meets your requirements. Our top choice is ExpressVPN, but others like NordVPN and CyberGhost are excellent alternatives.
- Submit your payment. Most providers will accept credit cards, and many take payment via PayPal, Bitcoin, and other methods.
- After successful authentication, you will receive an introductory email from the VPN provider inviting you to set up an account. Proceed to download the relevant apps for your device directly from the provider’s site or official app stores.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies and restart your device once installation is complete. Log in to the service.
- Connect to a server in Nepal if you want a local IP address (currently, the only VPN on the list to offer this option is ExpressVPN) or one outside the country to unblock your favorite content.
- Congratulations! Now you’re in possession of an encrypted internet connection and all your activity will stay private.
Accessing Netflix libraries in Nepal
Nepal has a small library of Netflix content, so a VPN makes sense for people who want to access a larger roster of movies and television shows. The only way to do that is by connecting to your VPN first and selecting a Netflix-optimized server.
Netflix uses your IP address to determine the library of content you can access. Even if your account was originally registered in the US but you’re now in Nepal, you won’t be automatically granted access to the US version. Most VPN providers have dedicated servers for Netflix, so it’s best to consult with customer support if you run into issues.
Using banking and financial services
Banking and financial services companies are notoriously sensitive about customer information, so it’s possible they might try to monitor incoming traffic that originates in an out-of-the-ordinary location. If you’re trying to access your bank account while traveling, you run the risk of raising compliance red flags or triggering a security audit. To prevent this situation, it’s preferable that you connect to a VPN first and make it appear you’re in your home country.