In the US, home broadband is significantly more expensive than in other countries. If you want high enough speeds, it will cost up to three times more than in France and the UK. If you compare it with South Korea, it’s almost five times the price. It begs the logical question, “Why is this happening?”
How is the price of the internet generated?
Price for a basic broadband package, a package for your television or a package for your telephone in the US states is considerably more expensive than in other countries. The problem is that all connections come in packages and the price can be several times higher than comparable services because of this. We have analyzed the data from BSJ and compared hundreds of packages available worldwide.
These packages, as well as any additional costs, are included in the overall price. Because of the numerous components, such as internet costs, one-time payments, and set monthly payments. In certain cases, this may also include fees for exceeding your data consumption limit, as well as a termination fee based on the provider’s website’s advertised costs. The following is a list of the states with the highest fees:
- Las Vegas (75.42 USD/60 Mbps). Do you know that Las Vegas is now taking its next step forward by being one of the first cities in America to offer free Wi-Fi access. The installation of this Wi-Fi system is a joint project between Cisco Systems and the City of Las Vegas. The goal of this project is to make Las Vegas a more attractive place for tourists by offering them free internet access while they are visiting our wonderful city.
- Denver (63.6 USD/60 Mbps). Denver internet is a major topic of discussion in the city. It is important to note that Denver has one of the fastest internet speeds in the world, and …, the most expensive.
- Johannesburg (62.46 USD/60 Mbps). The South African government has been working on developing an advanced and stable internet system to improve the lives of citizens. The idea is to create an “internet for all” that will be available to all citizens, not just those who can afford it. As of now, it is not affordable at all!
- Seattle (59.97 USD/60 Mbps). Seattle is one of the most connected cities in the world. With over 98% coverage, it has one of the best internet coverage in North America and one of the most pricey.
- Dublin (59.76 USD/60 Mbps). Dublin has a thriving and diverse internet culture. The city has a strong tradition of supporting emerging internet technologies and startups, with many globally recognised companies such as Stripe, Intercom, and Hubspot being based in Dublin.
- Toronto (58.62 USD/60 Mbps). Toronto has its own internet that is different from the rest of Canada. It was created by Toronto Hydro, so it is not part of the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA). The network is called TORONTO Hydro and it was created for Toronto residents who live in downtown Toronto.
- Sydney (53.91 USD/60 Mbps). There are many providers in the market but one of the most popular ones is Sydney Internet. They provide high-speed internet plans that can be customized to suit your needs. Be ready to pay for it quite a substantial sum of money though.
Price may change depending on Network Technology
Regardless of network technology, monthly charges in the United States are continuously higher. Looking at solely cable, DSL, and fiber options, I discovered that fiber is the most costly Internet connection choice, followed by cable, and then DSL.
The analysis reveals a wide variation in Internet charges. Providers charge varying amounts, ranging from $53 to $175 per month, depending on the area, the tariff plan and whether the subscriber uses a single service or an entire package of services. Comparing the bills of households that use the Internet as a standalone service showed that with an average broadband speed of 100 Mbit/s, the monthly fee, including the associated charges, averaged $66. Packaged tariff users also had an average connection speed of 100 Mbps, but Internet fees were lower, at $53 a month. The average cost for these subscribers was $143 for the entire package, including discounts and other services.
One of the factors affecting the fee was how long a subscriber has been using their provider’s services. It turns out that regular customers get fewer discounts. For example, those who signed up less than a year ago receive an average discount of $21 per month, while most subscribers who have been connected for more than a year are not offered any discounts at all.